10 YEARS!!! Can somebody please inform me the way it’s been a decade since I wrote my very first weblog publish? We’re celebrating in the present day with this unbelievable vegan dessert and a weeklong OSG Recipe App sale for charity (deets beneath).
When I began my weblog on October 31, 2008, Eric and I have been newly married and dwelling in Toronto whereas I used to be working full-time as a researcher and wrapping up my Master’s diploma. Life was fairly chaotic, and finishing my diploma was beginning to put on me down (at one level I assumed I used to be simply going to chop my losses, throw within the towel, and transfer on!). This weblog was probably the most wonderful inventive outlet throughout a time when my life was missing the form of creativity that I completely craved. It allowed me to discover a aspect of myself that I hadn’t since I used to be a child (like my love for pictures, baking, inventive writing/journaling, and simply being a goof). My weblog’s first tagline was “Food. Fitness. Fashion. Fun.” Pretty epic, proper? Lol. I’m grateful to Eric for encouraging me to “discover a interest” after years of exhausting myself with college and work. He nonetheless jokes that my “interest” changed into my profession, so I must discover a new interest now. (Fine, I’ll begin my very own animal farm! YOU WIN!)
I discover writing therapeutic in soooo some ways. In the early days, I didn’t have greater than a handful of readers, and I discovered it fairly straightforward to speak about my struggles on-line. I used to be like nobody goes to learn this anyway! It was an internet journal of kinds, and I wrote about my historical past with disordered consuming and the way I used to be lastly getting myself on a path to restoration. I shared the challenges I confronted discovering a profession that I used to be really keen about (and, finally, how I relinquished my must people-please by fully altering my profession path). I had probably the most supportive response from these first early weblog readers (in addition to my family and friends), so I saved writing with my coronary heart on my sleeve.
After coming within the prime Three of the meals running a blog problem Project Food Blog, an editor from a serious publishing home emailed me saying she cherished my work and was questioning if I’d like to write down a cookbook. Pretty positive I fainted! It was the e-mail that modified every part and solidified the truth that I used to be on the fitting path after doubting myself and my choice to alter careers for thus lengthy.
So right here we’re 1 weblog, Three strikes, 2 cookbooks, 2 youngsters, and 1 recipe app later…together with numerous late nights, self-doubt, and (ongoing) indecision for good measure! It positive has been a wild journey! I’m nonetheless studying and dreaming of latest targets day by day (all without having the slightest clue how one can get there!). Above all, I’m actually happy with the truth that I’ve stayed true to myself and the values I’ve for this hobby-turned-business. The better part is that I’ve been fortunate to satisfy so a lot of you wonderful folks on-line and in particular person, and I nonetheless can’t fairly consider how freakin’ real, cool, and supportive everybody has been! It’s so loopy to suppose that a few of my finest friendships have been made by means of this weblog. Forever grateful. Thank you from the underside of my veggie-lovin’ coronary heart for making this such a enjoyable journey. And cheers to the following 10 years! Any guesses as to what adventures they’ll convey for you or me?
To have a good time OSG’s 10-year anniversary, we’re having an enormous OSG Recipe App sale this week with 100% of the proceeds being donated to Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada. Right now our app is simply 99 cents, so in the event you’ve been eager about downloading it, this week is a good time to take action whereas supporting a incredible trigger that’s close to and pricey to my coronary heart! You can discover our recipe app on each the iTunes and Google Play shops. Thank you a lot for all your wonderful help and for serving to us give again to our group.
I had a lot enjoyable celebrating Canada’s meals writers on the Taste Canada Awards Gala final evening! We have been nominated within the Food Blogs Health and Special Diet class, and I used to be so honoured to take residence Gold! All I might take into consideration was how grateful I’m to have this recognition, particularly so near OSG’s 10-year milestone. Plus, Adriana and Arlo have been calling all of my meals “YUCKY” recently, so now I can present them the award and clarify that they’ve been outvoted, lol.
Last however not least, we’re having just a little social gathering to have a good time 10 years and this new dessert is on the menu. I hope you’ll get pleasure from each chew as a lot as we now have! With Halloween tomorrow, I can’t consider a greater time to bask in some creamy, dreamy, chocolaty PB goodness.
12 small or 9 medium servings
For the crust:
- half of cup (78 g) almonds
- 1 cup (100 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/four teaspoon high quality sea salt
- 1/four cup (60 mL) coconut oil, melted
- Three tablespoons (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) clean pure peanut butter
For the filling:
- half of cup (125 mL) coconut oil
- 1/Three cup (80 mL) coconut cream*
- half of cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
- 3/four cup (185 g) clean pure peanut butter
- 1/four teaspoon high quality sea salt, or to style
- half of teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For topping (non-obligatory, however beneficial):
- Coconut Whipped Cream**
- half of cup (95 g) non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) coconut oil, melted***
- half of cup (80 g) chopped toasted walnuts and large-flake coconut****
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease an 8×8-inch sq. pan with coconut oil (together with up the perimeters, too). Cut a chunk of parchment paper to suit the width of the pan with a little bit of overhang so it’s straightforward to carry out.
- For the crust: Add the almonds, oats, and salt to a meals processor and course of till the combination resembles a rough flour, about 30 seconds.
- Melt the 1/four cup coconut oil in a medium pot (you’ll be utilizing the identical medium pot for the filling) over low warmth. Add the melted oil, maple syrup, and peanut butter to the processor and course of till the combination comes collectively in a heavy dough, 10 to 15 seconds. The dough ought to appear to be a moist cookie dough. If you discover it a bit dry, add a teaspoon or two of water and course of once more till a moist dough types.
- Spoon the dough into the ready pan and crumble it evenly everywhere in the base. Lightly moist your fingers and press the dough into the bottom firmly and evenly. Level the perimeters together with your fingertips. Poke the bottom with a fork about 12 occasions to permit air to flee whereas baking.
- Bake the crust for 9 to 11 minutes, till it appears pale and a bit puffy. The crust would possibly look underbaked once you take away it, however that is what we need to keep away from drying it out.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In the identical medium pot (no want to wash it!), soften the coconut oil and coconut cream over low warmth. Now add the maple syrup, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla and whisk till clean.
- Spoon the filling onto the crust (there’s no want to chill the crust first) and punctiliously switch the dish to a degree floor in your freezer. Chill till stable, about 2 hours. If I’m not serving the torte instantly, I’ll cowl the pan with tinfoil after a pair hours of freezing. While it chills, put together the Coconut Whipped Cream and collect the toppings so that they’re able to go.
- Once frozen, take away from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Slide a knife across the edges to loosen the slab. Using the parchment paper, carry the slab out and place it on a serving platter. Slice into slices of your required width. Now add the toppings: I add a big dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream on every after which prime it with a number of drizzled melted chocolate, walnuts, and large-flake coconut. A pinch of coarse sea salt is good too. If you might have leftover melted chocolate, serve it on the aspect in a small dish so you’ll be able to spoon some extra chocolate over prime whereas consuming (belief me on this one!). Serve instantly—the combo of chilly filling and heat melted chocolate is simply dreamy! But the chilled leftovers (with hardened chocolate) are completely irresistible too.
- Storage ideas: The filling softens an important deal at room temperature, so it is best to not depart leftovers on the counter for longer than half an hour. Return it to the fridge or freezer for finest outcomes. Cover leftover slices and retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week, or you’ll be able to freeze the slices for four to six weeks. I prefer to wrap frozen slices in tinfoil after which place all of them right into a freezer-safe zip bag.