I’ve been speaking to girls about wholesome hair take care of over a decade now.
Looking at my inbox alone, I’ve acquired over 2000 emails from girls telling to me in regards to the points they’ve with their hair. Adding this to the individuals who strategy me in individual and people I’ve suggested on-line I can confidently say that over the past decade, I’ve spoken to 1000’s of ladies about their hairs challenges and their hair care practices.
All these conversations have taught me a lot and given me an excellent quantity of information from which I’ve recognized probably the most prevalent hair care errors we appear to make. Some of them are classics and a few are new traits I’ve seen over the past couple of years.
These errors have taught me that regardless of wholesome hair info ( each correct and inaccurate) being obtainable on-line for a few years, the overwhelming majority of ladies nonetheless don’t know the fundamentals about black hair care. The myths about our hair are nonetheless in style than the reality about our hair. The most traditional errors could girls have made with their hair over the past decade and which I additionally made earlier than my wholesome hair awakening are
1) Using oils as moisturizers.
2) Believing sluggish hair progress or no hair progress is our downside when as a rule, the actual downside is harm and breakage.
3) Thinking you may solely have lengthy wholesome hair in case you have been born with it aka -believing that lengthy hair is all the way down to genes alone and never accepting that the way you deal with your hair has MAJOR affect.
4) The Holy Grail Growth Product syndrome – believing that it’s merchandise that may develop hair and never understanding that the principle perform of merchandise is to assist preserve hair wholesome (protect the hair fibre for so long as potential) and that is what results in size retention (longer and thicker hair).
5) Not taking good care of our hair….and questioning why it’s not doing effectively.
To be honest many girls assume they’re caring for his or her hair however are making so many errors and inadvertently trigger loads of harm.
The New Kids On the Block
Over the final two years I’ve undoubtedly seen a shift with girls who’re on wholesome hair journeys or have consciousness of appropriate hair care after which take issues overboard and trigger self-inflicted hair loss because of this.
1) Under-manipulation aka abandonment.
There are many girls that know that extra manipulation is to be averted however for some cause that is being transformed to zero manipulation which leads to badly knotted or matted hair. Manipulation for hair care is crucial. It is extra manipulation that’s to be averted.
2) Doing probably the most!!
Many of us on wholesome hair journeys get so carried away with new fads and wish to attempt every part. So we full the important features of hair care after which additionally wish to add tea rinses, chebe, rice water, onion juice, aloe vera gel, cayenne pepper, a myriad of ayurvedic herbs, and so on
Sis, its an excessive amount of!!! Although most of those will impart some profit or the opposite, they don’t seem to be important and we must always not do all of them and leap on each wagon. Incorporating a number of is okay however doing all of them isn’t sensible.
When I began my hair care journey, majority of the above was new to me however I learnt shortly and attempt to educate others.
Although many girls have made vital and constructive modifications in how they care for his or her hair, the very fact stays that majority of us as black girls nonetheless have issues with our hair and don’t know find out how to take care of it.
Unfortunately, having broken hair remains to be extra prevalent than wholesome hair and normally the breakage and broken we expertise is because of lack of or incorrect hair care.
A mission I had and commenced to meet by means of Hairducation was to demystify black hair and to normalize wholesome thriving hair for black girls.
It’s a brand new decade and the mission continues!!!!