I do know it’s January, and that sort of timing typically spurs finest conduct, “my physique is a temple” like weight loss plan regimens, however generally a woman simply wants her carbs. Here to satisfy us midway: Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage and Kale.
This recipe is sponsored by Reames Frozen Egg Noodles.
This lightened up pasta recipe has sufficient rib-sticking energy to heat you on the dreariest winter evening. At the identical time, it presents feel-good dietary advantages, because of a beneficiant portion of redeeming produce within the types of butternut squash and kale.
This straightforward, one-pan pasta is the best recipe for this recent time of 12 months. We’re a bit too early to (utterly) blow our well-intentioned, post-holiday detox guarantees, however sitting all the way down to a chilly plate of greens on a cold evening feels too unhappy to fathom. <—For the file, I rail towards unhappy dinners year-round, however in January once I’m already bored with winter and there’s no finish of it in sight, these emotions are on the forefront.
This pasta tastes luxurious, way more so than you’d count on from its comparably lean ingredient checklist. The tenderness of the sautéed butternut squash mixed with the heartiness of Reames Frozen Egg Noodles (which have a incredible texture—extra on that in a second) makes this pasta luxurious. All it takes from there’s a little splash of half and half, and also you’ll be in a pasta paradise.
Italian turkey sausage (or hen sausage) supplies protein and endurance. Kale retains it lean and inexperienced. The complete shebang cooks in the identical pot (even the noodles!), so after you’ve feasted like a queen, you’ll really feel somewhat nearer to royalty if you solely have a single dish to wash in the long run.
How to Make Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
The magic of this recipe all comes collectively in a single pot. It’s all about how the squash breaks down and mingles with the opposite substances. The starches from the noodles assist thicken the sauce too.
- Butternut Squash. This orange magnificence is excessive in vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and antioxidants. I like it sautéed in pasta. It’s frivolously candy and tender.
- Chicken or Turkey Sausage. Lean and loaded with taste. I used a hen apple sausage that our grocery retailer carries (it was harvesty and delish). Classic Italian sausage (delicate or spicy relying upon your choice) can be incredible too.
- Kale. This hearty inexperienced is excessive in vitamin Ok and fiber. It’s glorious in pasta as a result of it may stand as much as the sautéing and maintain its personal within the thick sauce. It tastes particularly glorious with butternut squash.
- Red Onion. For a bit o’ chew.
- Egg Noodles. But not simply any egg noodles. I exploit Reames Quick Prep Egg Noodles. I used the basic Reames Frozen Egg Noodles to organize this reader favourite Instant Pot Beef and Noodles. The Quick Prep model additionally comes within the freezer part and has the identical stand-out texture. These mighty noodles are thick and hearty, by no means flimsy, which is why you’ll want a fork to eat them! They cook dinner in 5 minutes, that means this butternut squash pasta is prepared, pronto.
- Sage. Earthy sage and sweeter butternut squash are so pure a pair, I virtually can’t make a butternut squash recipe with out this cozy herb. Just a little sage goes a good distance, so I like to recommend beginning with the quantity listed within the recipe, then including extra in case you are a real sage fiend.
- Nutmeg + Cayenne Pepper. One is heat and nutty, the opposite supplies a slight contact of warmth. You’ll love these spices with butternut squash.
- Parmesan. Nutty Parm supplies the frivolously sharp, salty counterpoint to the richness of the sauce.
- Half and Half. This recipe requires a barely indulgent however not overdone ½ cup. To make it even richer, you may add a couple of additional tablespoons, although we had been proud of the lesser quantity.
- Grab a big skillet or Dutch oven and place it over medium-high warmth. Add your oil, and as soon as it’s scorching, add the sausage. Once the meat is browned and cooked by, switch it to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Reduce the warmth to medium, and add the remainder of the oil, squash, onion, and spices. Stir often till the squash is tender and golden (about Eight minutes).
- Add the remaining spices. Continue cooking till your garlic is softened and aromatic.
- Place your kale on high of the whole lot within the skillet, pour within the broth, and canopy. Simmer over medium warmth for Four minutes.
- Stir in your noodles and half and half, then get better. Once the noodles are cooked by and the kale is tender, take away from the warmth.
- Add within the sausage. Sprinkle the highest with Parmesan and sage, and season to style. Serve scorching, and enjoyment of every mouthwatering forkful!
How to Store and Reheat
- To Store. Place leftover butternut squash pasta in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as Four days.
- To Reheat. Gently reheat leftovers in a big pot on the range over medium-low warmth till scorching. You may also rewarm this dish within the microwave till warmed by.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage and Kale
Thanks to this one pot butternut squash pasta with sausage and kale, you may preserve your January guarantees and deal with your self too!
: 4 Servings (Eight cups complete)
Creamy, savory, and delicious Butternut Squash Pasta With Sausage and Kale! This mild recipe has wealthy, hearty flavors that the complete household will love!
- 3 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil — divided
- 1 pound floor turkey or hen sausage — any taste you want (I used apple hen sausage. Mild or spicy Italian sausage can be scrumptious too)
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/Four kilos) — reduce into 1/2-inch cubes (about Three half of cups cubes complete; you probably have somewhat additional, use a really massive skillet and add all of it if you happen to actually love squash, or reserve the additional for one more time)
- 1 purple onion — thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt — divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic — about 1 tablespoon
- ¼ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can low sodium hen broth
- half of cup half and half
- 12 ounces Reames Quick Prep Frozen Egg Noodles — half of bundle
- 1 medium bunch kale — about Eight ounces, stemmed eliminated and chopped (about Four cups chopped)
- half of cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped recent sage
Heat a big, tall-sided skillet or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium excessive. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Once the oil is scorching, add the sausage. Cook, breaking up the meat, till it’s browned and cooked by, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
Reduce the skillet warmth to medium. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the squash, onion, half of teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, till the squash is tender and golden, about Eight minutes. Add the garlic, nutmeg, cayenne, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Continue cooking till the garlic is softened and aromatic, about 1 extra minute.
Add the kale on high, pour within the broth, then instantly cowl the pot. Simmer on medium warmth for Four minutes.
Stir within the noodles and half and half, then get better the pot. Simmer till the noodles are cooked by and the kale is tender, about extra 5 minutes, stirring as soon as midway by.
Remove the noodles from the warmth. Stir within the sausage. Sprinkle with Parmesan and sage. Taste and season with extra salt as wanted. The quantity you want will range primarily based in your explicit sausage and hen broth (I added an excellent pinch). Serve scorching.
- TO STORE: Place leftover butternut squash pasta in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as Four days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently reheat leftovers in a big pot on the range over medium-low warmth till scorching. You may also rewarm this dish within the microwave till warmed by.
Course: Dinner, Main Course
Amount per serving (1 (of 4), about 2 cups) — Calories: 642, Fat: 31g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 195mg, Potassium: 595mg, Carbohydrates: 55g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 39g, Vitamin A: 4761%, Vitamin C: 26%, Calcium: 249%, Iron: 2%
I’m sharing this submit in partnership with Reames. As at all times, all opinions are my very own. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers and firms that make it doable for me to proceed to create high quality content material for you!
This submit incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks, which implies that I make a small fee off objects you buy at no extra price to you.