I’ve been holding out on you. Earlier this week, I gave you the recipe for a better-tasting, wholesome Crockpot Mexican Chicken, plus 10 methods to make use of it. It appeared beneficiant, however the reality is, I left one essential Mexican rooster recipe off the record: Chicken Enchilada Skillet.
Secret Mexican Chicken Recipe #11, this one deserves its personal stand-alone publish. I’d name it lazy rooster enchiladas, besides that title doesn’t do it justice.
You see “lazy” does nothing to speak the style euphoria that’s juicy shredded rooster, enchilada sauce, mushy corn tortillas, beans, and cheese (numerous cheese!) effervescent away till the tortillas soften, the creamy sauce wraps itself round each morsel, and all the shebang tastes just like the each day particular at your favourite no-frills genuine Mexican joint (I imply this as a praise).
“Deconstructed” rooster enchiladas? Chicken enchilada pie? Sweatpants rooster enchiladas? I’m taking solutions.
Whatever you resolve to name this recipe, it’s a keeper.
I discovered numerous simple rooster enchilada skillet recipes on-line, together with a traditional Campbell’s one. Not surprisingly, the unique recipe requires a can of “cream of” soup. The gross sales angle was apparent, however I choose to make use of entire elements once I can.
Is it an excessive amount of to need a meal to be fast and straightforward and restrict the processed gadgets?
Of course not!
Instead, I got here up with this wholesome cheddar rooster enchilada skillet. It’s nonetheless simple to make. You don’t must fuss with a cream sauce, regardless that we instructed the canned soup goodbye. The complete recipe is all cooked in a single skillet, so you might have fewer dishes to clean.
It’s *largely* home made so you’ll be able to really feel nice consuming it, but it surely additionally makes use of just a few pantry gadgets once they make sense (corn tortillas!), so that you don’t must spend hours prepping.
Despite its slimmed-down standing, I promise this lighter model tastes indulgent sufficient to be worthy of its place on a each day particular board—and, after all, at your desk too!
How to Make a Healthy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
A couple of ingredient swaps make this a cheddar rooster enchilada skillet that’s gentle on energy and massive on taste.
- Shredded Chicken. For most taste factors, use my Crockpot Mexican Chicken or the rooster from these Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos. In a rush? You can use plain shredded rooster.
- Red Enchilada Sauce. This home made crimson enchilada sauce takes simply 10 minutes to make, has great taste, and is decrease in sodium than canned sauce. You can swap canned sauce too, after all; use gentle or spicy, relying upon your loved ones’s taste desire.
- Poblano Pepper. Not spicy! These complicated, gentle peppers have develop into one in all my favourite elements in Mexican cooking ever since making this King Ranch Chicken. They’re bought at most grocery shops now, however should you can’t discover one, you’ll be able to swap a inexperienced bell pepper as an alternative.
- Red Bell Pepper. Naturally candy and an excellent supply of vitamin C. They additionally comprise many different nutritional vitamins, folate, and potassium.
- Greek Yogurt. My sneaky swap to create a creamy sauce that doesn’t require canned soup.
- Cheese. I like a pointy cheddar, as a result of it’s totally flavored so a small handful goes a great distance. Pepper jack is superb should you’d like a kick; cheddar jack or Monterey jack are traditional.
- Corn Tortillas. No persnickety rolling. Simply tear them up, then stir them in. I like to recommend corn versus flour tortillas for the very best texture and taste right here.
- Spices. Cumin and chili powder do the heavy lifting right here. I additionally used garlic powder (as a result of I’ll use it anytime I can get out of chopping garlic with out sacrificing taste, shhhh).
- Oregano. Add a pinch to any Mexican dish. You’ll love the outcomes.
- The Works! For topping. Fresh cilantro, avocado, and a dollop of Greek yogurt instead of bitter cream are the on a regular basis home favorites. When we’re feeling harmful, we add jalapeno.
- Sauté the greens and spices in a big oven-safe skillet till browned and tender.
Transfer the greens to a mixing bowl, then add the sauce, rooster, and beans. Stir to mix.
- Stir within the yogurt, tortilla quarters, and a part of the cheese.
Transfer the combination to the skillet, and sprinkle the remaining cheese excessive.
Place the skillet within the oven, and bake at 425 levels F till sizzling and bubbly. Let relaxation, then serve sizzling with desired toppings. DIG IN!
- Beef Enchilada Skillet. Swap in floor beef for the rooster. You might additionally use floor turkey or floor rooster. Brown the bottom meat forward of time, and add to the skillet when it requires the shredded rooster.
- Vegetarian Enchilada Skillet. Instead of rooster, use the tofu filling from these Tofu Tacos (you’ll be able to omit the black beans for the reason that tacos name for these, or double up).
- Gluten Free. If you purchase licensed GF tortillas, no different adjustments are wanted; this recipe is of course gluten free.
Make-Ahead, Storage, and Reheating Tips
- To Make Ahead. Chop the greens as directed, and sauté them within the skillet. Transfer them to the blending bowl, and retailer within the fridge in a single day. Finish the recipe as directed if you’re prepared end making ready.
- To Store. Place leftovers in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as Three days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish or oven-safe skillet within the oven at 350 levels F till sizzling and cheese is bubbly.
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
Whatever you resolve to name this rooster enchilada skillet (casserole? one-pan Mexican surprise?), it’s certain to hit the spot on a busy night time not too lengthy from now.
And as at all times, should you do that recipe, please go away a remark under and let me know the way it got here out. It makes my day to listen to from you and retains me motivated to create the all-time wholesome recipes for you!
This simple Chicken Enchilada Skillet cooks in a single pan and is made with easy, wholesome elements. Light on energy, massive on taste, and at all times a favourite!
- 1 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion — diced
- 1 crimson bell pepper — cored and diced
- 1 poblano pepper — or inexperienced bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper
- 20 ounces crimson enchilada sauce — I like to recommend my home made crimson enchilada sauce
- 3 cups cooked shredded gradual cooker Mexican rooster — (for max taste!) or common cooked, shredded rooster
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans — or low sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup 2% or entire plain Greek yogurt — don’t use fats free or it could curdle
- 6 corn tortillas — reduce into quarters
- 1 cup shredded cheese — equivalent to sharp cheddar or cheddar jack, Mexican cheese mix, Monterey Jack, or pepper jack, divided
- For serving: diced avocados — sliced jalapeno, chopped recent cilantro, extra Greek yogurt or bitter cream
Place racks within the higher third and heart of your oven and preheat the oven to 425 levels F.
Heat the oil in a big oven-safe skillet over medium warmth. Once the oil is sizzling, add the onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Sauté till the greens brown and have gotten tender, about 6 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the warmth and switch the combination to a big mixing bowl. Keep the skillet useful. Add the enchilada sauce, rooster, and beans and stir to mix. Stir within the Greek yogurt. Fold within the tortilla quarters and ¼ cup of the cheese.
Spoon the combination again into the identical skillet. Sprinkle the remaining cheese excessive.
Transfer the skillet to the oven, inserting it on the higher third rack, and bake till the cheese is sizzling and effervescent, 10 minutes. If you want, change the oven to broil and broil for a minute or two to make the highest of the cheese brown (do not stroll away to ensure the cheese does not burn). Remove from the oven (watch out, the skillet deal with might be sizzling!). Let relaxation a couple of minutes, then serve sizzling with desired toppings.
- TO STORE: Place leftovers in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as Three days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish or oven-safe skillet within the oven at 350 levels F till sizzling and cheese is bubbly.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Chop the greens as directed, and sauté them within the skillet. Transfer them to the blending bowl, and retailer within the fridge in a single day. Finish the recipe as directed if you’re prepared end making ready.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: tacky rooster enchilada skillet, rooster enchilada skillet pie, simple mexican dinner, wholesome rooster enchilada skillet, One Pan Meal
Amount per serving (1 (of 5); with out additional toppings) — Calories: 497, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 78mg, Potassium: 711mg, Carbohydrates: 51g, Fiber: 13g, Sugar: 11g, Protein: 41g, Vitamin A: 1768%, Vitamin C: 53%, Calcium: 359%, Iron: 5%
This publish incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks, which signifies that I make a small fee off gadgets you buy at no extra value to you.