The subsequent time cooking dinner looks like a drag, make these Stir Fry Noodles. Whole grain noodles tossed with a heap of greens (whichever ones you have got round) and your protein of alternative (we used hen) in a shortcut stir fry sauce, what we’ve got here’s a Class-A Weeknight Wonder.
This noodle stir fry recipe makes use of something, and the style is all the things.
It’s prepared in 30 minutes (fewer in the event you chop your greens prematurely), and its taste bests any noodles you’ll eat out of a takeout carton.
If your experiences with Asian meals rising up had been something like mine (mall meals courts and the takeout part of our Kansas grocery retailer), to you stir fry noodles would possibly imply noodles cooked in oil (often quite a lot of oil), with a sugary sauce and only a few greens.
By origin, stir frying is a Chinese cooking method and has unfold all through Asia (and all the way in which to our Kansas grocery retailer). In stir fry recipes, components are added to a scorching pan with a small quantity of oil, then tossed till crisp-tender.
Within the class of noodle stir fries, you’ll discover additional distinctions. Two widespread decisions embody chow mein (noodles par-cooked, then completed within the pan) and lo mein (noodles which might be cooked right through, then added to the pan with the sauce; lo mein can be often saucier).
Today’s noodle stir fry recipe is a little bit of a “each and.” The noodles end cooking within the pan (like chow mein), however they’re additionally saucy (like lo mein). They preserve the spirit of extra genuine noodle stir fry recipes (there’s little or no oil), however provide the takeout satisfaction of the stir fries I grew up loving as a child (gotta have that sauce!).
Just about each side of this twist on Chinese stir fry noodles is adaptable. This is a catch-all recipe, and it needs you to succeed.
Which Noodles to Use for Stir Fry
Let’s begin with the recipe’s namesake: the noodles. We have choices right here.
For this recipe, I like to recommend any form of thicker, longer noodles that can maintain as much as plenty of tossing within the pan. I additionally like to make use of entire grain choices the place potential to reinforce the recipe’s dietary advantages.
- Soba Noodles. Noodles constructed from buckwheat flour, giving them a touch of earthy taste.
- Japanese Udon Noodles. Thick, chewy wheat noodles which have a impartial style, making them excellent for stir fries.
- Egg Noodles. You could make this a hen stir fry with egg noodles. Look for Chinese egg noodles (lo mein-style noodles).
- Spaghetti, Linguine, or Fettuccine. YES, you can also make use spaghetti to make a noodle stir fry. This is what we use 95% of the time. Other lengthy, Italian-style noodles like fettuccine and linguine work additionally.
- Rice Noodles. This number of noodles cooks rapidly and has a delightfully smooth texture. That stated, they have an inclination to interrupt down fairly simply, so in the event you resolve to make use of them, I’d wait to toss them in till the very finish, simply earlier than serving.
Selecting the Vegetables
You can use nearly any greens in your fridge for these stir fry noodles: bok choy, mushrooms, broccoli, bell peppers, snap peas, a head of cabbage that’s wanting suspect—simply go for it.
- Cut Veggies Small. Make positive to chop your greens on the smaller aspect, in order that they cook dinner rapidly. This is particularly vital for more durable veggies like broccoli and carrots to make sure they cook dinner in about the identical period of time as all the things else.
- Prep in Advance. Have all of your greens chopped and prepared earlier than you begin cooking, as a result of stir fries transfer rapidly.
I favor my vegetable noodle stir fry (and stir fries usually) heavy on the veg, so I add a full 6 cups. One of my greatest gripes with noodle stir fries in eating places (each the sit-down type and the mall takeout selection) is that they’re 97% noodles, with just a few scant veggies right here and there. Not this vegetable noodle stir fry!
Ben commented that he would have most well-liked extra noodles, however I assumed the recipe was excellent.
- For a veggie-heavy stir fry: use 6 cups of greens and 6 ounces of noodles.
- For a balanced (however nonetheless veggie-forward) stir fry: preserve the 6 cups of veggies, however bump it as much as eight ounces of noodles.
Stir Fry Noodles Sauce
The foundation for the noodle stir fry sauce is impressed by the one I exploit in my different clean-out-the-fridge BFF: Homemade Fried Rice.
The stir fry sauce as written isn’t overly spicy, however if you wish to guarantee these are 100% kid-friendly stir fry noodles, you’ll be able to miss the Sriracha totally, then add it to particular person servings.
- Hoisin. A real stir fry secret weapon! There’s SO a lot taste packed into one little jar, and it principally does the give you the results you want.
- Soy Sauce. Another stir fry staple that helps create our addictive sauce. I like to recommend utilizing low-sodium soy sauce to maintain it from being too salty.
- Garlic + Ginger. A should for stir fry sauces.
- Rice Wine Vinegar. Easy to search out and a worthy addition to your pantry. This stir fry common brings steadiness.
- Sriracha. Gives the sauce just a little kick. If you favor a much less spicy stir fry, you’ll be able to omit it.
- Green Onions. Some are added to the sauce, and the remaining are scattered on high of the completed dish for a bit a freshness.
Pick Your Protein
I opted for hen stir fry noodles, utilizing boneless, skinless hen breast, however nearly any protein (vegetarian or non vegetarian) works properly.
- Beef Noodle Stir Fry. Use sirloin steak, lower in opposition to the grain into skinny, 1-inch strips.
- Pork Noodle Stir Fry. Use pork tenderloin, lower into skinny, 1-inch strips.
- Tofu Noodle Stir Fry. Swap out sautéed tofu cubes. My favourite strategy to put together tofu for stir fries is that this Crispy Tofu.
- Stir-Fry Noodles with Egg. This stir fry recipe does name for 2 eggs already (they carry out a magic trick and thicken up the sauce much more), however in the event you’d like so as to add much more protein, you’ll be able to stir in further items of scrambled eggs on the finish.
How to Cook Stir Fry Noodles
Stir fry recipes like these noodles transfer FAST. Here are just a few tricks to make them with success.
- Be positive to have all your components prepped and close to the range, together with having the spices and sauces measured.
- Don’t overcook the noodles. They’ll end cooking within the skillet with the sauce, preserving them from being overly mushy.
- Keep your pan scorching. It’s what offers stir-fried recipes like this one their optimum texture: crisp-tender veg, juicy hen, and noodles which might be tender however not falling aside.
Here are the recipe step-by-steps:
- Toss the hen and a part of the soy sauce collectively. This helps tenderize and taste the hen, even in a brief period of time.
- Stir the stir fry sauce components collectively.
- Cook the noodles till almost al dente.
- Cook the hen (or pork or your protein of alternative) in a skillet over medium-high warmth.
- Saute the greens.
- Pour in half of the stir fry sauce.
- Add the noodles, stirring to coat them within the sauce.
- Add the eggs, sriracha, hen, and remaining sauce.
- Cook and stir for a pair extra minutes, till the eggs are cooked.
- Top with inexperienced onions. ENJOY!
- To Make Vegetarian. Omit the hen, or use tempeh or tofu as a substitute.
- To Make Vegan. Omit the eggs and hen, or use tofu or tempeh as a substitute.
- To Make Gluten Free. Make positive to make use of a gluten free soy sauce and hoisin, and use gluten free noodles.
Make-Ahead and Storage Tips
- To Make Ahead. Chop all greens as much as 1 day prematurely, and retailer them in an hermetic storage container within the fridge. Prepare the stir fry sauce as much as 1 day prematurely, storing it in a separate hermetic storage container within the fridge.
- To Store. Refrigerate leftover stir fry in an hermetic storage container for as much as Four days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth.
- To Freeze. Freeze stir fry in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as Three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
More Healthy, Kid-Friendly Stir Fry Recipes
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
- Large Skillet. This funding piece will make it easier to make any and all your favourite stir fries.
- Extra Large Cutting Board. Since this recipe makes use of quite a lot of veggies, a big chopping board like this ensures you don’t run out of house.
- Liquid Measuring Cups. Easily combine and measure your stir fry sauce in the identical cup.
Stir Fry Noodles
Chicken stir fry noodles with greens in a fast and simple stir fry sauce. This quick, wholesome meal tastes higher than takeout and is healthier for you too!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 1/4 kilos boneless skinless hen breasts or thighs – thinly sliced then lower into bite-sized items
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce – plus further to style, divided
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 small bunch inexperienced onions – thinly sliced (about 1 cup), divided
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced contemporary ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or canola oil – divided
- 6 ounces dry lengthy noodles – reminiscent of soba (udon) noodles or entire wheat spaghetti or entire wheat linguine noodles
- 6 cups thinly sliced greens – reminiscent of mushrooms, bok choy, broccoli, purple bell pepper, or carrots (I used eight ounces cremini mushrooms, 1 purple bell pepper, and 1 small head broccoli)
- 2 massive eggs – frivolously crushed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha or different scorching sauce – or to style
Place the hen in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Let sit when you prep the remaining components.
In a small bowl or massive liquid measuring cup, mix the three-quarters of the inexperienced onions, the remaining Three tablespoons soy sauce, hoisin, garlic, ginger, and vinegar. Set close to the range. Reserve the remaining inexperienced onions for serving.
Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles till they’re about 1 to 2 minutes from achieved, in accordance with package deal directions. They ought to be very al dente, nonetheless just a little too agency to eat, however not excessively arduous and chewy. Drain and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil to stop sticking.
In a big skillet over medium-high warmth, warmth 1/2 tablespoon oil. Once the oil is scorching, add the hen. Cook till golden and absolutely cooked by way of, about Three to Four minutes. Remove to a plate.
To the now-empty skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the greens and cook dinner till they start to brown and soften however are nonetheless pretty crisp, about Three to Four minutes.
Add half the scallion combination and saute till aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the noodles. Cook, utilizing tongs to toss the noodles and coat them with the sauce, for 30 seconds.
Add the eggs, sriracha, hen, and remaining scallion combination.
Continue to stir fry and toss the noodles, till the eggs are cooked by way of and the noodles are tender, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Remove from warmth. Sprinkle with the reserved inexperienced onions.
- See weblog submit above to make this recipe vegetarian, vegan, or GF.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover stir fry in an hermetic storage container for as much as Four days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze stir fry in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as Three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Chop all greens as much as 1 day prematurely, and retailer them in an hermetic storage container within the fridge. Prepare the stir fry sauce as much as 1 day prematurely, storing it in a separate hermetic storage container within the fridge.
This submit incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks, which signifies that I make a small fee off gadgets you buy at no further value to you.