Hello from our model new household of THREE! The previous few days have been a whirlwind (to say the least) as we welcomed Sidney Jude Bucciferro to the world on Monday, January 13th. Thank you all a lot for the properly needs, ideas and love — we so respect it!
I promise to share extra about Sidney quickly, however for now let’s discuss one thing else that’s heat and comfortable: the extremely scrumptious vegan coconut tomato lentil soup of MY DREAMS.
I’ve been eager to make a brand new lentil recipe for awhile as a result of my lentil Moroccan stew and coconut rooster lentil soup are insanely scrumptious. Lentils are a tremendous supply of plant primarily based protein and fiber, which makes them good for these of you trying to eat extra plant primarily based within the new 12 months.
Ingredients in vegan coconut tomato lentil soup:
This deliciously creamy tomato lentil soup is made with nourishing, easy elements and packs loads of fiber & plant-based protein. To make this vegan lentil soup you’ll want:
- Dry inexperienced or brown lentils: inexperienced lentils have a tendency to carry their form in soups & stews (versus pink lentils), they usually pack 15g of fiber and 9g of protein per serving.
- Cozy spices: for this recipe you’ll want cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch of cayenne (in the event you’re feeling adventurous). It’s what I exploit to make home made sazon so the mix has a slight spanish flare with heat zesty flavors.
- Sofrito: in Spanish, sofrito means sauce, and it’s very conventional in the case of Puerto Rican meals. My model is a combination of garlic, onion, inexperienced bell pepper, cilantro and tomato sauce. Some do it with recent tomatoes and culantro, however that is how I usually make it.
- Fire roasted crushed tomatoes: I really like the additional taste increase that the fireplace roasted tomatoes carry to the soup, however common crushed tomatoes will nonetheless be scrumptious.
- Light coconut milk: there’s one thing about soups simmered in coconut milk that I completely love. The coconut milk brings a slight sweetness paired with all the spices and makes it so creamy. I’d not suggest utilizing full fats because it’s not as skinny in consistency.
Do you prepare dinner lentils earlier than including to soup?
Nope! The inexperienced lentils will prepare dinner proper within the broth and can add a pleasant thickness to this easy tomato and lentil soup. You don’t must soak them both, simply rinse and type the lentils earlier than including them to the pot.
How to retailer and reheat this vegan tomato lentil soup:
- In the fridge: this creamy soup will keep good in your fridge for about 1 week, although I doubt it should final that lengthy! Once your soup is totally cooled, simply place it in an hermetic container (or a number of, in the event you’d prefer to meal prep it). To reheat it, merely accomplish that within the microwave with a microwave secure bowl, or be at liberty to reheat it on the stovetop.
- In the freezer: sure, this vegan tomato lentil soup recipe is freezer-friendly! Follow the directions above, however as a substitute of inserting the soup within the fridge simply put it in your freezer for as much as Three months. To reheat, merely thaw the soup in a single day and reheat on the stovetop or within the microwave whenever you’re able to eat.
What to serve with this vegan tomato lentil soup:
I completely love serving this tomato lentil soup recipe with toasty naan or pita bread as a result of it’s good for dipping and durable sufficient for all of these yummy lentils. Thick lower items of bread or a baguette would even be scrumptious, and naturally, this soup is unimaginable by itself, too.
More lentil recipes you would possibly like:
Mom’s Ultimate Vegetarian Lentil Loaf
Butternut Squash, Chickpea & Lentil Moroccan Stew
Healing Thai Butternut Squash Lentil Soup (with a sluggish cooker choice!)
Slow Cooker Taco Lentil Soup
Butternut Squash Black Lentil Salad with Grapes + Arugula
See learn how to make the vegan coconut tomato lentil soup:
I hope you take pleasure in this simple vegan coconut tomato lentil soup. If you make it, please depart a remark under and price the recipe — I actually respect it! xo.
Vegan Coconut Tomato Lentil Soup
Nourishing vegan coconut tomato lentil soup simmered with scrumptious, warming spices like cumin, coriander and turmeric. This creamy tomato lentil soup recipe has loads of plant primarily based protein and makes a beautiful meal prep lunch or dinner!
white onion, diced
- half of
very finely diced inexperienced pepper
very finely diced cilantro
- half of
- half of
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon cayenne (provided that you want a bit of warmth)
(28 ounce) can hearth roasted crushed tomatoes (or common crushed tomatoes are positive)
inexperienced or brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
(15 ounce) can gentle coconut milk (reserve 2 tablespoons for drizzling on prime of soup)
salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- To garnish:
- Extra recent diced cilantro
- Pita or naan bread for dipping
Add olive oil in a big pot and place over medium excessive warmth. Once oil is scorching, add in onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic. Saute till onions are translucent and inexperienced peppers soften, about 3-5 minutes. Bring warmth to medium low and add in spices and crushed tomatoes, simmer for a couple of minutes till it comes collectively.
Next stir in lentils and coconut milk, reserving 2 tablespoons of coconut milk for drizzling on prime as soon as the soup is finished. Season with salt and freshly floor black pepper. Bring soup to boil, then scale back warmth and simmer over medium low for 20-30 minutes or till lentils are delicate and tender. The soup ought to thicken up just like how tomato soup is. (If it will get too thick to your liking, then be at liberty so as to add ½ cup-1 cup water or broth.) Taste and alter seasonings as essential, including extra salt and pepper if wanted.
Serve soup instantly and drizzle in a circle with leftover coconut milk and cilantro. I like to serve mine with naan or pita bread for dipping. Serves 4.
To retailer & reheat this this tomato lentil soup:
In the fridge: for as much as 1 week by utterly cooling the soup and inserting it in an hermetic container (or a number of, if you would like to meal prep it). To reheat it, merely accomplish that within the microwave with a microwave secure bowl, or reheat it on the stovetop.
In the freezer: observe the directions above, however as a substitute of inserting the soup within the fridge simply put it in your freezer for as much as Three months. To reheat, merely thaw the soup in a single day and reheat on the stovetop or within the microwave whenever you’re able to eat.
Servings: Four servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 4)
Saturated fats: 5.3g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats