These Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs include the entire comforting flavors of a standard Shepherd’s Pie, in a enjoyable new low carb meatball format! They’re dairy free too!
Earlier this week I posted the bottom layer for these keto shepherd’s pie meatballs, the Keto Cheddar Leek Cauliflower Puree. If you learn that publish, that this dish is impressed by a Shepherd’s Pie I had in London at The Windmill in Mayfair.
Fun truth: Shepherd’s Pie is historically made with floor or minced lamb. Which is smart, as a result of Shepherd’s work with sheep, not cows. Growing up in New England, my mother made a dish she all the time known as Shepherd’s Pie, nevertheless it was made with floor beef, topped with a layer of corn kernels, after which mashed potatoes.
As children we beloved it, nevertheless it wasn’t technically Shepherd’s Pie. A meat pie made in that manner is usually known as Cottage Pie.
Because lamb can have a robust, gamey taste that may be off-putting to some, I blended the meat in these meatballs with a 50/50 mixture of beef and lamb. That gave them simply sufficient lamb taste to be genuine and scrumptious, however not a lot as to be overpowering.
That being stated, if you will get lamb and love the flavour, you possibly can definitely use all lamb on this recipe. And in case you can’t get lamb in any respect, or it’s too dear in your space to make it price it, then you possibly can combine pork and beef, and even go all beef in case you desire.
Then I suppose they might be Cottage Meatballs…. 😂
These Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs are flavored with the basic Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and a small quantity of minced carrot for authenticity.
Worcestershire sauce is technically not gluten free as a result of it will possibly include soy sauce or malt vinegar which each include gluten. If that’s a priority for you then you possibly can substitute it with Coconut Aminos, which have an identical taste profile and no gluten.
The sauce for these Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs will get its pink shade from tomato paste, and in addition incorporates tangy Worcestershire sauce, some floor mustard, and rooster broth – amongst different issues.
The finish consequence, particularly when served over the Keto Cheddar Leek Cauliflower Mash, is comfortingly genuine and extremely satisfying to tuck into.
These keto meatballs are a enjoyable departure from the standard layered Shepherd’s pie format, and are fairly straightforward to execute.
Mr. Hungry was an enormous fan, and he’s fairly powerful to please in terms of meatballs. So if he’s any indication, then keto or not your loved ones will possible get pleasure from these Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs too!
“We don’t must go to London anymore, these are wonderful.” – Mr. Hungry
As all the time, I really like getting your suggestions on my recipes, so let me know if this one was successful together with your tribe too!
Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs
These Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs include the entire comforting flavors of the basic shepherd’s pie, in a enjoyable new low carb meatball format!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Keto Meatball Recipes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: British
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound floor beef (80/20)
- 1 pound floor lamb
- 1/2 cup tremendous effective blanched almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon recent thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/four cups rooster broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon floor mustard
- 1/four teaspoon black pepper
- 1/four teaspoon xanthan gum
To make the meatballs:
- Put the entire meatball substances (aside from the oil) right into a medium-sized bowl. Mix nicely together with your palms, after which kind into 18 meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat the oil in a big nonstick skillet over medium warmth for about 2 minutes, or till the oil is shimmering.
- Add the meatballs and cook dinner for about Three minutes, then flip over with tongs and cook dinner for an extra Three minutes, or till golden brown.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and put aside.
To make the sauce:
- Add the entire sauce substances to the identical skillet you cooked the meatballs in and stir nicely.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over excessive warmth, then cut back the warmth to medium and add the meatballs again to the pan and stir to coat within the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, or till it has thickened and decreased by about one third, and the meatballs are cooked by way of.
- Serve sizzling, ideally over a serving of Keto Cheddar Leek Cauliflower Mash.
- Store leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days, or within the freezer for as much as Three months.
Approximate internet carbs per serving = 3g.
- Serving Size: Three meatballs + Three T sauce
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: Keto Meatballs, Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs, Meatballs