Before I start, I want to first thank all of the docs, physician assistants, nurses and all of the well being care employees and frontline responders which have put their lives on the road through the coronavirus pandemic. They are the heroes throughout this disaster! Especially, within the sizzling zone areas, corresponding to New York metropolis, New Jersey, Louisiana and Michigan treating COVID-19 sufferers. Also, my condolences exit to the entire households which have misplaced their family members throughout this disaster. What’s so unhappy is that many instances members of the family are tragically separated and grieving with out seeing their family members cross on in an undignified manner, dying alone due to isolation and social distancing. My prayers and ideas exit to the entire household and associates for his or her tragic loss.
On April 10th my article entitled “Coronavirus Research: 500 More Clinicals! Hope On the Way!” talked about the most recent promising cutting-edge medication and therapy and analysis together with 500 trials for the reason that outbreak occurred which have already commenced – a quantity that’s rising! There aren’t any confirmed miracle cures or therapy however a hydroxychloroquine or its combo present hope that they could have anti-viral properties and decrease the an infection charge and unfold of the virus till we now have a vaccine in 12-15 months. But will the vaccine be a miracle remedy? We nonetheless don’t know the way profitable a vaccine shall be.
What if the COVID-19 virus mutates? A change within the virus genetic code. A confirmed vaccine long-term is probably not as efficient by stopping antibodies from binding to the virus. We might then should develop one other new vaccine if this happens. This was the case with the HIV virus. It mutated so shortly we couldn’t develop a vaccine to deal with it. To this very day, we don’t have a vaccine to deal with AIDS sufferers. Anti-viral therapies and medicines have safely on their very own efficiently managed the AIDS epidemic, stopping additional mortality and deaths from the HIV virus.
Moving ahead, we want the gold normal; double-blind randomized scientific trials to show security and efficacy for the entire unapproved potential medication to deal with sufferers with the coronavirus, which I discussed in my final article. Unfortunately, the stringent kind of scientific trials will take months. We want one thing now. People are dying! Hope is on the way in which! Many scientific trials are actually happening on these potent medication and coverings at many medical and analysis facilities around the globe.
As I discussed in my final article, former FDA director Scott Gottlieb, in The Wall Street Journal in “Bet Big On Treatment for the Coronavirus” (Op-Ed, April 6, 2020) mentioned that we can not rely solely on isolation and social distancing and urged the FDA to speed up approval of COVID-19 medication.
The FDA just lately authorised three corporations together with biotech firm Celex and Abbott Labs below “emergency use authorization,” which permit for its new antibody take a look at for use previous to gaining full approval! Beware! 90 defective assessments can be found that aren’t authorised by the FDA. Also, Abbott Labs new 5-15-minute assessments that had just lately been authorised by FDA for testing of coronavirus are important and urgently should be extra out there – even in asymptomatic folks.
I can’t emphasize sufficient the urgency and significance of the provision of additional testing for diagnosing the virus in addition to additional entry of the antibody assessments if we’re going to management the unfold of the an infection. This is significant if we’re going to open the financial system and permit folks to return to work safely.
New anti-viral medication might provide hope to regulate the unfold of the virus. We had excellent news simply this week, on Thursday April 16th with the anti-viral drug Remdesivir made by Gilead Sciences. I discussed this promising anti-viral drug in my final two articles. The University of Chicago Medical Center launched this week preliminary optimistic findings of a carefully watched scientific trial with Remdesivir (Stat News.com April 16, 2020), during which researchers famous: “Seeing speedy recoveries in fever and respiratory signs with practically all sufferers discharged in lower than per week. Safety research have been carried out in animals however we don’t know if it would trigger unwanted side effects long-term in people. If protected and efficient, it may change into the primary authorised therapy in opposition to the illness.”
There was extra nice information this week on testing! “The Food and Drug Administration branded emergency use authorization for a coronavirus take a look at relaying on saliva samples developed by a Rutgers University-backed entity, Rutgers mentioned Monday.” (Dan Mangan at CNBC, Monday, April 13, 2020) “The take a look at may improve, by tens of 1000’s of assessments per day, the variety of screenings for COVID-19,” Rutgers mentioned. The take a look at was developed by Rutgers RUCDR Infinite Biologics and its collaborators, Spectrum Solutions and Accurate Diagnostic. Infectious illness consultants are saying that such a take a look at is gigantic! An actual breakthrough! The take a look at must be carried out by a doctor, or educated well being skilled. It is easy; the affected person simply has to spit in a cup and would get ends in 24-48 hrs. The take a look at is already out there this previous Wednesday in New Jersey.
Another rapid concern and hazard with the coronavirus is that we’re in a critical mist of a storm! The Cytokine Storm. It’s the most important storm ever! We didn’t see it coming. First we thought it was going to be a minor storm and later turned out to be a world disaster and pandemic!
Another space of analysis is anti-inflammatory medication that inhibit or decrease cytokines within the physique. In the response to the coronavirus an infection, what’s referred to as cytokine storm can happen within the physique. A cytokine storm is an immune response to an infection within the physique during which the immune system overproduces cytokines corresponding to interleukin-6 which might harm the lungs and trigger irritation of the air sacs of the lung, which might inhibit oxygen within the physique inflicting pneumonia, respiratory failure and dying! This Cytokine Storm may also trigger irritation of the guts, liver, mind and different important organs.
It was just lately reported in Cancer Network.com on March 26, 2020, that “FDA has authorised a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled section III scientific trial to judge the protection and efficacy of intravenous (IV) Tocilizumab (Actemra) plus normal care in hospital grownup sufferers with extreme coronavirus illness,” in keeping with Genetech, the drug developer. “We thank the FDA for quickly expediting the approval of this crucial trial to judge Actemra in critically ailing sufferers affected by pneumonia following coronavirus an infection.” Tocilizumab is already authorised by the FDA for therapy cytokine launch syndrome (CRS) that’s extreme or life threatening. It can be already authorised for rheumatoid arthritis. Side results embody higher respiratory infections, hypertension, hepatotoxicity, and immune threat of sure cancers by downregulating the immune system for probably the most extreme or acute instances and life-threatening state of affairs which can embody life or dying conditions. For probably the most extreme and acute instances of COVID-19 sufferers, and life and dying conditions, the advantages most likely might outweigh the chance.
Regeneron Pharmaceutical Inc. and Sanofi (Kevzara) are additionally testing their rheumatoid arthritis drug, which inhibits interleukin-6, which might have an effect on irritation. Regeneron and Sanofi began a late-stage U.S. research together with 400 sufferers. Results are anticipated on the finish of April or early May.
Another query typically requested, why is it that some folks additionally take a look at optimistic for the coronavirus and will have restricted signs, like a chilly, or no signs all, whereas others are gravely ailing with pneumonia and respiratory failure and probably die. Is a genetic issue concerned? Possibly.
We already know folks over 65 years of age are on the highest threat of dying from the coronavirus. People with weight problems, diabetes, coronary heart illness and hypertension are additionally at a better threat. A nutritious diet such because the Mediterranean eating regimen has been proven within the analysis to decrease these dangers together with train. Also, folks that smoke tobacco, hashish (marijuana), and particularly vaping could also be susceptible to extreme coronavirus infections. Studies additionally present that air air pollution may also improve the chance; it was reported in analysis by Harvard University. It’s the primary research to indicate a hyperlink to publicity to air pollution and respiratory wonderful particle matter within the air. (Harvard University TH Chan School of Public Health)
Also how does the coronavirus have an effect on and infect the cells of regular folks? According to scientists and the most recent analysis, the virus’ spike protein attaches to an ACE2 receptor on the cell’s floor of the lung and respiratory system however yet another co-factor is required to penetrate the cells! It was reported just lately and revealed within the EMBO Journal by scientists from the Berlin Institute of Health, Germany. The article studies that sure progenerated cells and genes within the cells of the bronchi within the lungs produce coronavirus receptors that the virus attaches to and causes an infection. Progenitor cells kinds respiratory cells within the bronchi of the lung. These cells comprise what’s known as cilia, that are hair-like that usually perform to take away micro organism and mucus away from the lungs. We know that older adults 65 and over are at better threat from dying from the coronavirus. It has additionally been reported within the scientific literature that intercourse variations might play a job. Men have been reported increased mortality and dying charges. Scientists have proven that in most extreme instances of the coronavirus, ladies had increased ranges of antibodies than males. In the current research within the EMBO Journal, researchers discovered that ACE2 receptor density improve in older males and extra so in ladies. Also, different scientists have reported that the coronavirus doesn’t bind to ACE2 receptors and expressed in younger youngsters. This is a principle why youngsters are extra protected against the coronavirus. The EMBO Journal could be very attention-grabbing. This could be very observational research and requires additional scientific research and scientific trials in coronavirus sufferers. If this research is confirmed in well-designed randomized scientific trials in coronavirus sufferers, we are able to then take a look at present medication or new medication to assault the virus.
One present class of medicine known as ACE inhibitors and ACE blockers, which are actually used to deal with hypertension, and a most up-to-date research was revealed within the jourrnal medRxiv. The researchers discovered that these medication had been efficient in decreasing irritation (c-reactive protein) in coronavirus sufferers. The research was small and must be confirmed in bigger randomized managed scientific trials. The mechanism of motion of those medication is controversial as a result of in animals these medication have been proven to boost the expression of the ACE2 receptor and will improve the severity of the illness. Warning: if you’re on ACE inhibitors or ACE blockers for hypertension, you shouldn’t cease taking them except really helpful by your doctor or heart specialist.
Another controversial research was most just lately reported by Sciencedaily.com (April 2, 2020) on a brand new ACE2 receptor blocker that was revealed within the journal Cell, during which researchers concluded: “An worldwide crew has discovered a trial drug that successfully blocks the mobile door SARS CoV² makes use of to contaminate its host.” This ACE2 receptor blocker research is attention-grabbing however must be studied additional and confirmed with a randomized double-blind scientific trial to guarantee the protection and efficacy of this new drug.
Even although instances of coronavirus are taking place, we can not take our foot off of the pedal! More testing (which incorporates for prognosis and antibodies), efficient anti-viral remedies, therapeutics (convalescent plasma remedy), and randomized managed trials must proceed so we are able to set up security and efficacy. We can win the conflict with the coronavirus with the assistance with all of our great, heroic well being care employees and main pharmaceutical and analysis facilities. We can get better, management and kill the virus! “Can’t” shouldn’t be in my vocabulary – solely can is!
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA)
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- Coronavirus War! Attack It Now: Potential Drugs and Treatment by Steve Blechman. April 1, 2020 https://advancedmolecularlabs.com/blogs/news/coronavirus-war-attack-it-now-potential-drugs-and-treatment
- CORONAVIRUS RESEARCH: 500 More Clinicals! Hope On the Way! Steve Blechman. April 10, 2020. https://advancedmolecularlabs.com/blogs/news/coronavirus-research-500-more-clinicals-hope-on-the-way
- Early peek at knowledge on Gilead coronavirus drug suggests sufferers are responding to therapy.; By Adam Feuerstein @adamfeuerstein and Matthew Herper @matthewherper
April 16, 2020 https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/
- Guo T, Fan Y, Chen M, et al. Cardiovascular Implications of Fatal Outcomes of Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Cardiol.Published on-line March 27, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1017
- Madjid M, Safavi-Naeini P, Solomon SD, Vardeny O. Potential Effects of Coronaviruses on the Cardiovascular System: A Review. JAMA Cardiol.Published on-line March 27, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1286
- Bonow RO, Fonarow GC, O’Gara PT, Yancy CW. Association of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) With Myocardial Injury and Mortality. JAMA Cardiol.Published on-line March 27, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1105
- Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China. Wei-jie Guan, Ph.D., Zheng-yi Ni, M.D. February 28, 2020. New England J. Med. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2002032
- Linking Air Pollution To Higher Coronavirus Death Rates. Amanda King. Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health. April 13, 2020 https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/biostatistics/2020/04/linking-air-pollution-to-higher-coronavirus-death-rates/
- Why Some COVID-19 Patients Crash: The Body’s Immune System Might Be To Blame. April 7, 2020. Geoff Brumfiel NPR https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/828091467/why-some-covid-19-patients-crash-the-bodys-immune-system-might-be-to-blame
- New Rutgers Saliva Test for Coronavirus Gets FDA Approval. Rutgers University. Andrew Brooks. April 13, 2020 https://www.rutgers.edu/news/new-rutgers-saliva-test-coronavirus-gets-fda-approval
- Coronavirus saliva take a look at will get FDA emergency use approval, Rutgers University says. Dan Mangan. CNBC. April 13, 2020 https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/coronavirus-saliva-test-gets-fda-use-approval-rutgers-university-says.html
- FDA Approves Phase III Clinical Trial of Tocilizumab for COVID-19 Pneumonia. Hannah Slater
- March 26, 2020 Cancer Network. https://www.cancernetwork.com/news/fda-approves-phase-iii-clinical-trial-tocilizumab-covid-19-pneumonia.
- Genentech Announces FDA Approval of Clinical Trial for Actemra to Treat Hospitalized Patients With Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia. March 23, 2020. AP News Wire https://apnews.com/Business%20Wire/9e97b7ad899e4bb4bcc80b0d5fc72c7d
- Why COVID-19 hits people who smoke more durable. By Nicoletta Lanese. Life Sciences. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-covid-19-risk-and-smoking.html
- 16.SARS‐CoV‐2 receptor ACE2 and TMPRSS2 are primarily expressed in bronchial transient secretory cells. Soeren Lukassen et al, The EMBO Journal (April 17, 2020) e105114https://doi.org/10.15252/embj.20105114
- Obesity Exacerbates the Cytokine Storm Elicited by Francisella tularensis Infection of Females and Is Associated with Increased Mortality. Mireya G. Ramos Muniz, Matthew Palfreeman et al. Advances in Emerging and Neglected Infectious Diseases June 26, 2018. BioMed Research International. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2018/3412732/
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers and Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors Usage is Associated with Improved Inflammatory Status and Clinical Outcomes in COVID-19 Patients With Hypertension
- Guang Yang, Zihu Tan, Ling Zhou, Min Yang, Lang Peng, Jinjin Liu, Jingling Cai, Ru Yang, Junyan Han, Yafei Huang, Shaobin He, medRxiv April 4, 2020.03.31.20038935; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.03.31.20038935
- University of British Columbia. “Trial drug can considerably block early phases of COVID-19 in engineered human tissues.” ScienceEach day, 2 April 2020. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200402144526.htm.
- Vanessa Monteil, Hyesoo Kwon, Patricia Prado, Astrid Hagelkrüys, Reiner A. Wimmer, Martin Stahl, Alexandra Leopoldi, Elena Garreta, Carmen Hurtado Del Pozo, Felipe Prosper, J.p. Romero, Gerald Wirnsberger, Haibo Zhang, Arthur S. Slutsky, Ryan Conder, Nuria Montserrat, Ali Mirazimi, Josef M. Penninger. Inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 infections in engineered human tissues utilizing clinical-grade soluble human ACE2. Submitted to Cell, 2020 DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2020.04.004
- Decoy ACE2 receptors might be promising COVID-19 infection-preventing drug. April 3, 2020 Drug Target Review. https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/59290/decoy-ace2-receptors-could-be-promising-covid-19-infection-preventing-drug/
- Gautret et al. (2020) Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a therapy of COVID‐19: outcomes of an open‐label non‐randomized scientific trial. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents – In Press 17 March 2020 – DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949
- French research finds anti-malarial and antibiotic combo may scale back COVID-19 length. Darrell [email protected]/March 19, 2020.
- Shen C, Wang Z, Zhao F, et al. Treatment of 5 Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 With Convalescent Plasma. JAMA. Published on-line March 27, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.4783
- Roback JD, Guarner J. Convalescent Plasma to Treat COVID-19: Possibilities and Challenges. JAMA. Published on-line March 27, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.4940
- Arturo Casadevall, Liise-anne Pirofski. The convalescent sera choice for holding COVID-19. Published April 1, 2020; First revealed March 13, 2020. Citation Information: J Clin Invest. 2020;130(4):1545-1548. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI138003.
- Effectiveness of convalescent plasma remedy in extreme COVID-19 sufferers Kai Duan, et al. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Apr 6 2020, 202004168; DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2004168117
- Pfizer PinPoints An Early Drug Candidate. Wall Street Journal. Jared S. Hopkins. April 10, 2020
- On Developing New Drugs to Treat Covid-19. Binh Nᴳᴼ & Stephen Ditmore. Friday, April 10, 2020 Wall Street Journal.
- Eric J. Rubin, M.D., Ph.D., Lindsey R. Baden, M.D., and Stephen Morrissey, Ph.D. Audio Interview: New Research on Possible Treatments for Covid-19. March 19, 2020. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:e30. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMe2005759
- COVID-19 therapy would possibly exist already. Nevan Krogan – Professor and Director of Quantitative Biosciences Institute, University of California, San Francisco. March 26, 2020. Live Science.
- Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. et al. Covid-19 – Navigating the Uncharted. March 26, 2020 N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1268-1269 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMe2002387